Composer: Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Frank Martin, Alonso Mudarra, Santiago de Murcia, Maurice Ohana, Manuel Maria Ponce
Performer: Javier Somoza – guitar
Number of Discs: 1 CD
Format: FLAC (tracks)
Bit Depth: 24bit / 96kHz
Number of channels: 2.0
Label: Brilliant Classics
Size: 1.2 GB
Scan: yes (PDF)
Javier Somoza /
Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Martin, Mudarra, Murcia, Ohana, Ponce – A Guitar for Segovia
01. Mudarra: 3 Libros de musica en cifras para vihuela, Book 1 – Pavana 1:59
02. Mudarra: 3 Libros de musica en cifras para vihuela, Book 2 – No. 26. Kyrie primero, de la Missa de “Beata Virgin” (after Josquin des Prez) 3:26
03. 3 Libros de musica en cifras para vihuela, Book 1 – Fantasia que contrahaze la harpa en la manera de Ludovico 2:45
04. Murcia: Folias Italianas 8:42
05. Murcia: Folias Espanolas 3:05
06. Ohana: Tiento 4:38
07. Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Variazioni attraverso i secoli, Op. 71 9:31
Ponce, M: Diferencias sobre la folia de Espana y fuga 24:50
08. Theme – Variations 21:12
09. Moderato 3:38
Martin, F: Pièce brève for oboe, flute & harp 9:43
10. 4 Pièces brèves: No. 1. Prelude 2:44
11. 4 Pièces brèves: No. 2. Air 1:54
12. 4 Pièces brèves: No. 3. Plainte 2:52
13. 4 Pièces brèves: No. 4. Comme une gigue 2:13
Recorded: 23-25 May 2016
Recording Venue: Auditorio Conde Duque, Madrid, Spain
The concept of this CD is inspired by two sources: the works are based on the harmonic pattern of “La Follia”, a characteristic Spanish Dance, and, secondly, the guitar that belonged to Andrés Segovia and was built in 1924 by the famous luthier Santos Hernández, and donated by the maestro to the Victor Espinos Music Library in Madrid. Segovia is known to have played the instrument extensively, on several world tours.
The music on this CD spans 4 centuries, and features works by Alonso Mudarra, Santiago de Murcia, Maurice Ohana, Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Manuel Ponce and Frank Martin, a kaleidoscopic repertoire fully exploring the rich possibilities of this magnificent instrument.
Javier Somoza is one of the foremost guitarist of Spain. After winning several international guitar competitions he embarked on a brilliant solo career. Next to that he is Professor at the Real Conservatorio Superior de Musica in Madrid and Honorary member of the Segovia Guitar Academy.
Harmoniously documented, well filled and most enjoyable.