Composer: Bach, Bach, Bizet, Cervantes, Chabrier, Chopin, Couperin, Fauré, Gluck, Godowsky, Grieg, Mendelssohn, Mompou, Poulenc, Rachmaninov, Rameau, Saint-Saëns, Satie, Scarlatti, Scriabin, Sibelius, Strasnoy, Tailleferre, Tchaikovsky
Performer: Tharaud – piano
Number of Discs: 1 CD
Format: FLAC (tracks)
Bit Depth: 24bit / 96kHz
Number of channels: 2.0
Size: 1,02 GB
Scan: yes (PDF)
Alexandre Tharaud – Autograph (Studio Master) – 2014
01. Bach, J S: Bach, JS / Arr Siloti: Prelude in B Minor, BWV 855a 3:01
02. Fauré: 3 Songs Without Words, Op.17: No. 3 Andante Moderato 2:24
03. Rameau: Nouvelles suites de pièces de clavecin, Suite No. 5: Les sauvages 2:03
04. Gluck: Gluck / Arr Siloti: Dance of the Blessed Spirits (Ballet des ombres heureuses) 3:15
05. Rachmaninov: Prelude Op. 3 No. 2 in C sharp minor 4:07
06. Tchaikovsky: Nocturne for cello & small orchestra (or cello & piano), Op. 19 No. 4 3:36
07. Grieg: 6 Lyric Pieces, Book 8, Op. 65: No. 6 Wedding Day at Troldhaugen 5:39
08. Sibelius: Valse Triste, Op. 44 No. 1 4:06
09. Scriabin: Prelude for the Left Hand, Op. 9 No. 1 2:23
10. Mendelssohn: Songs Without Words, Book 6, Op. 67: No. 2 Allegro leggiero 1:58
11. Chopin: Waltz No. 6 in D flat major, Op. 64 No. 1 ‘Minute Waltz’ 1:50
12. Saint-Saëns: Saint-Saëns / Arr Godowsky: The Swan (Le cygne) 2:49
13. Couperin, F: Couperin, Francois: 18ème Ordre: No. 6 Le tic-toc-choc, ou Les maillotins 2:32
14. Chabrier: Feuillet d’album 1:56
15. Scarlatti, D: Keyboard Sonata K141 in D minor 3:34
16. Bizet: Bizet / Arr Tharaud: L’Arlésienne, Suite de Concert No. 1: III. Adagietto 2:34
17. Ignacio Cervantes, Ignacio Cervantes: Adiós a Cuba 1:50
18. Strasnoy: Tourbillon 2:16
19. Poulenc: Mélancolie 5:23
20. Mompou: Paisajes: El lago 4:14
21. Tailleferre: Valse Lente 1:34
22. Satie: Gymnopédie No. 3 2:48
23. Bach, J S: Bach, JS / Arr Tharaud: Keyboard Concerto BWV 979: II. Andante 3:15
After his intoxicating evocation of Jazz Age Paris with ‘Le Boeuf sur le toit’, French pianist Alexandre Tharaud again proves that good things come in small packages. This enticing collection of encore pieces – some very popular, others exotic – ranges across more than four centuries and comprises both original scores and arrangements.
This new album contains 23 pieces that make perfect encores at the end of a recital. Reflecting Tharaud’s varied tastes in music, it comprises both original pieces and arrangements by composers from the 17th century to the present day.
Among the most popular pieces in the collection are Chopin’s delightful ‘Minute’ Waltz (D-flat major, Op. 64, No. 1), Satie’s enigmatic Gymnopédie No 3, Greig’s joyous Wedding Day at Troldhaugen and Rachmaninov’s brooding Prelude in C sharp minor. The works adapted for piano include a version of Sibelius’ Valse triste, Saint-Saëns’ Le Cygne (The Swan) in a virtuosic re-imagining by Leopold Godowsky, and the haunting B minor transcription of Bach’s Prelude BWV 855a by Alexander Siloti, who was both Rachmaninov’s teacher and his first cousin; the piece is particularly closely identified with the great Odessa-born pianist Emil Gilels. Tharaud’s own skills as an arranger are shown in his versions of pieces by Bach and Bizet.
BBC Music Magazine
Played with Tharaud’s trademark elegance, and with a keen sense of style, it amounts to a very clever concoction, in which temperature-changes are judiciously controlled and geographical and cultural connections are subtly implied.
A special blend of affection and verve, his choice takes us through the familiar and unfamiliar…His way with Chopin’s ‘Minute’ Waltz is scintillating and individual…he captures all of Poulenc’s stylised nostalgia…this is a box of delights…Erato’s sound is as bright as a button.
Altogether this is a joy. Recorded sound is top-notch, too.
Tharaud is an atmospheric, characterful pianist whose individuality seems to communicate best on CD: here he pulls together 23 miniatures into a gorgeous encore collection, at once undemanding yet stimulating…Vivid imagination meets deliciously poised pianism.
New York Times
a delightful compilation of lovingly rendered short pieces